In honor of this important occasion, we are offering great specials at the Tasting Room. We invite you to come celebrate with us, and here is how you can join in the fun:
• Ride Your Bike, Get a Complimentary Wine Flight: To support eco-friendly transportation and discourage carbon monoxide pollution, Concannon Vineyard will be offering a complimentary wine flight for the month of April to guests who bicycle to the Tasting Room.
• Get a Free Winery Tour: On Sunday, April 21st at 2pm, participate in a free tour of the winery. This tour will focus on sustainability practices and educate guests on how Concannon Vineyard remains bio-dynamic and environmentally friendly.
Speaking of our environmentally friendly practices, here is a snapshot of how Concannon Vineyard practices Earth Month all year long:
• Composting: After harvest, grape pumice (the skins, pulp and seeds left over after crush) and other vegetative matter are recycled and composted back to the soil. This practice helps replenish the soil for the next growing cycle.
• Water Conservation: Soil and vine stress monitoring devices are in place to assure that the minimum amount of water is used and only when needed. We also use minimal amounts of water for barrel washing, versus a full-water flush.
• Recycling: We recycle all packaging, paper, cans and bottles. Office paper is made from at least 30% post-consumer recycled materials and some office supplies are made of 100% post-consumer recycled materials.
• Energy Management: We have solar panels on the rooftop of the winery building that produces approximately 270,000 kilowatt-hours per year, supplying roughly 20% of all energy needs. We also use energy-efficient refrigerators, HVAC systems, and tank-temperature control systems.
• Environmentally Preferred Purchasing: We evaluate our vendors for their sustainable practices and we constantly evaluate our own products for packaging reductions.
Our wine packaging is also sustainable! To keep our carbon imprint low, we:
• Ship all wines in unbleached, chlorine-free cardboard cases
• Print labels and cases with water-based inks
• Use 19% lighter-weight bottles for our wines
• Use 100% recyclable, sustainable and reusable natural corks
Whether they are bettering our grapes or helping the entire globe, our vineyard and winery’s eco-friendly practices are important to us, and we hope they inspire you to live a little greener too.
Cheers to a healthy planet and tasty wine!